The School of Music and Dance’s music education program is among the most comprehensive and innovative in the western United States, and the only one in Oregon to offer bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees.
Faculty members provide expertise in band, choral, elementary general, and string music education.
Graduate degree programs are designed for students interested in advancing their skills or preparing for careers in higher education, and provide diverse and rigorous course work that emphasizes research.
Music education faculty members publish research in top-tier journals, author books, contribute to chapters in anthologies, and present and conduct at regional, national, and international venues.
Application at a Glance
You apply for admission through your program. Detailed instructions are available on the program’s website. The following are required for your application:
- Official Transcripts
- English Language Proficiency Requirement
- Financial Verification for International Applicants
Program-Specific Application Requirements:
- Copies of concert or recital programs you have conducted. Elementary/General applicants may substitute a unit plan or four (4) lesson plan series.
- Interview with the music education faculty either remotely or in person. Please email the Music Education area head Dr. Melissa Brunkan (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule an in-person or online interview.
- Recent video recording of K-12 music teaching and ensemble performances
- Résumé detailing teaching experience and educational background
- Statement of Professional and Personal Goals
- Scholarly writing sample
- Three letters of recommendation
- Writing Prompt/Essay