Doctoral candidates must complete the equivalent of at least 81 quarter credits of graduate-level work beyond the baccalaureate degree, over the course of at least three calendar years.
- Of the 81 credit total, at least 27 credits must be UO credits taken while classified as a doctoral student (see Doctoral Residency Requirements).
- Of the 81 credit total, at least 18 credits must be in Dissertation (603) (This does not apply to the the DMA in music performance – refer to the School of Music and Dance website for details).
- The remaining 36+ credits may be:
- credits taken as a UO master's student, under certain conditions (see Doctoral Residency Requirements)
- graduate credits from another university (see Transfer of Credit - Doctoral Students)
Some doctoral programs may have higher credit requirements. Refer to the website of your specific program for details.