Free to all users, ImaginePhD is an online career exploration and planning tool for PhD students and postdoctoral scholars in the humanities and social sciences. The ImaginePhD tool helps span the knowledge gap between doctoral education and the realm of career possibilities. It includes:
- Three online assessments which allow PhD students to self-assess their career-related skills, interests, and values.
- 16 job families relevant to the humanities and social sciences are contained on this page. Each job family contains detailed information about types of careers and resources to help PhD students explore, connect, build skills, and apply for positions
- My Plan: provides PhD students and postdoctoral scholars with the opportunity to create an individual development plan (IDP) and set specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-based goals that will help them advance in their graduate programs and careers.
The Versatile PhD
PhDs go many places. Let The Versatile PhD help you get there!
The Versatile PhD is the oldest, largest online community dedicated to non-academic and non-faculty career paths for PhDs in the humanities, social sciences, and STEM fields.
Resources to help PhDs and ABDs diversify their career planning include:
- Options 4 Success: a 6-module career exploration program designed to help graduate students and postdoctoral scholars identify viable career paths, understand the link between their degrees and the professional world, and confidently manage the transition from university to high-quality professional placement.
- PhD Pathway Series: webinars with an “outside the academy” perspective on career preparation and job opportunities across a range of skills, trends and industries.
- Opportunities to network with 85,000+ VPhD members across the US and Canada.
- VPhD Smart Jobs job listings.
Clicking below will bring you to a The Versatile PhD login page. Logging in will establish your credential as affiliated with the University of Oregon. If you already have a VPhD member account, please use it. If not, click "Register Here" once on the login to set up an account:
Once you have successfully logged in to the Versatile PhD site, an onscreen message will confirm your affiliation with the University of Oregon.
Uncertain about your current student or research status? Torn between too many choices and interests that are different from what your program is asking you to focus on? Have you chosen an academic direction but don’t know what career path to take? VitaNavis, a short career assessment tool, is available to help you identify where your interests and talents meet, leading toward a fulfilling future. Using the Strong Interest Inventory, an assessment based on the Myers-Briggs personality tool, you can get guidance and information about potential careers and research pathways that align with your results.
To access Vita Navis for the first time, click on Log In (not Sign Up) and then click at the top "Sign in with University of Oregon". Log in with Duck ID and click Yes to connect to the UO.