February 1, 2024 | 11:59 p.m. PST
The Division of Graduate Studies of the University of Oregon is pleased to announce the Future Stewards Award, designed in cooperation with the office of the assistant vice president and advisor to the president on sovereignty and government-to-government relations. This cooperation will provide an opportunity to work with the nine federally recognized tribes of Oregon and Native American tribes that had traditional and customary tribal boundaries in parts of the state of Oregon or that ceded or reserved lands within the state of Oregon to help to make graduate education more accessible for their members.
It is our hope that tribal members who have earned graduate degrees at the University of Oregon will be able to return home to become stewards of their communities who will support their traditional culture, foster educational opportunities, and promote economic development.
- Tuition waiver for up to 2 years (6 terms or 4 semesters)
- Full tuition waiver for Master's and Doctoral students; partial tuition waiver for Law students
- Mandatory fees not included
- Two students awarded each year
Eligibility and Criteria
- Incoming or current Master's, Doctoral, or Law students
- Members of a federally recognized tribe of Oregon or a Native American tribe that had traditional and customary tribal boundaries in parts of the state of Oregon or that ceded or reserved lands within the state of Oregon, as established by Oregon Administrative Rule 010-0037
- Students with a Graduate Employee (GE) appointment are not eligible to receive this award (as GE appointments include a full-time tuition waiver)
- Award is non-transferable and cannot be deferred
The application requires the following:
- Statement of academic purpose (500 words or less) describing your academic purpose
- What is your academic interest and plan for your time at UO? How will you use your academic achievements to steward, support, and honor your tribal community?
- Letter of support from your tribe confirming that they will cover all mandatory student fees and provide you with health insurance
- Email us if you are having issues acquiring a letter of support
- *While you will not be required to submit your transcripts and letters of recommendation as part of this application, they may be reviewed by the selection committee.
Selection and Timeline
Applications will be evaluated by representatives from the Office of the President. All materials, including transcripts and letters of recommendation, are considered during the selection process. Applicants will receive a decision about their application by early March.
*Graduate Students with Financial Aid
Receiving this award may reduce your financial aid award. Please contact the Financial Aid Office prior to applying for this (and any other type of) support.
For more information, please contact the Director of Diversity and Inclusion for the Division of Graduate Studies.